Tuesday, February 17, 2009

movies i've seen recently

lately i've been watching more movies than usual. paul has band practice every friday night and i've found myself a lovely routine of curling up on the couch with noah and my favourite tattered quilt and watching a dvd, usually borrowed from the public library. it has become the perfect way to transition from the work week to the weekend.

two fridays ago i watched "the namesake", a movie based on the novel by jhumpa lahiri and it has really stuck with me. it was such a fantastic story and a beautifully shot movie. VERY highly recommended!
here's the trailer:


and this past weekend paul & i went to see the movie "wendy and lucy". i loved how quiet and minimal the movie was. a very simple story but completely intriguing.
the trailer:


any movie recommendations (either in the theatre now or something i can borrow from the library)?

-------
i had to edit this to add:
i just watched the trailer for "the namesake" just to make sure that the embedding worked above and was reduced to a blubbering mess of tears. this movie is sooooo good! it is definitely on my list of all-time favourite films.

5 comments:

jen said...

"The Namesake" was my favorite movie of 2008. (I don't know when it came out but I just saw it a few months ago.)

tania said...

oh i LOVED the namesake!
and i really want to see wendy and lucy too-
some great ones-

"feast of love" just really nice story of a town and people-

"bella" AWESOME and tearjerker

"dedication" about a kids book writer and illustrator- kissing ensues

"purple violets" sweet

can you tell i have been "busy" this year? haha...

Valérie said...

Library dvds are so awesome. (ours are only $0.50 to check out!) I'm going to stop on the way home to see if they have The Namesake or Wendy Lucy, both look promising!

vania said...

I also loved both of these movies!

Carla said...

I haven't seen either of those... thanks, they're now on my list. Have you seen Monkey Warfare? I just saw it again, it's shot all around my neighbourhood, that was cool to see.