last week, vania tagged me to tell 6 things about myself. unfortunately, i've been too busy enjoying everyone else's answers to sit down and answer it myself. so my first tidbit probably won't surprise you one bit.
1. i'm a procrastinator. i always have been and i've come to realize i probably always will be. i don't like this side of myself and i long to be one of those people who live without stress because they are always ahead of the game. i start report cards 2 days before they're due, i leave for work with just enough time to get there, i went through university cramming for every exam, and i never get birthday cards sent to people in time for their day. (shame) i may have finally learned my lesson last month though when i waited until the week before the ooak show to buy supplies for one style of necklace. the store i rely on was sold out of the crimps i needed. i went to every bead store in the city with no luck. in the end, i had to wait until 2 days into the show to feverishly make more necklaces when the crimps finally arrived.
2. i met my husband online. i've always been really shy about meeting guys and when i went into a profession that was mostly female, i realized it would be even harder to meet someone. my friend recommended a site that had lots of artists and musicians on it. that's how paul found me! funny sidenote: on our 1st date, i found out that paul was in a band that i had been crazy about for months! an ex had made me a mixed tape with 2 of paul's band's songs on it and i listened to them over and over. everytime i came to toronto i tried to find their cd with no success. needless to say, i ended up getting a copy from the drummer himself! :)
3. like mishka and jen, i'm an only child too. well, now that my mom has re-married i have a step-brother and step-sister. but until i was in my late-20's, i had none.
4. i'm in a sloan video. many years ago, sloan shot a video at york university and my bf-at-the-time and i went. it's for the song "the lines you amend" and i'm in the audience. somehow i managed to press the pause button on the vcr at the exact right time because even though it's a close up shot of me, that's the only way i can be spotted. (it flashes by really quickly...)
5. i am the least athletic person i know. i've never been co-ordinated enough to play any kind of organized sport. in fact, i never even learned how to skip double-dutch. isn't that totally pathetic??
6. i am terrified of speaking in front of people. i never thought this was odd, until i mentioned it to friends last week and they were shocked because i teach for a living. the thing is, i'm not nervous about speaking in front of kids, it's adults that terrify me. for instance, last week i went to a 2 hour focus group to discuss the bi-election we recently had in our riding. this was a dream-come-true for me...being offered $75 to go and talk politics (heck, i'd do it for free)! of course i jumped at the chance. but sitting around the table with 9 other people reminded me of how nervous i get in these situations. the first thing we had to do was tell our name and how long we've lived in toronto...simple, right? but as soon as i opened my mouth, i felt my face turn bright red and i could barely get the words out! i was so embarrassed. luckily, as the night went on i forced myself to speak and it got easier. but i swear my face was burning red for that first half hour.
...whew, i didn't know if i was going to be able to think of 6 things to tell you about myself! everyone else's answers have been so much more interesting....
so, i'm supposed to tag some people. how about deutsch, tania, and karina?