Wednesday, April 19, 2006

6 things

last week, vania tagged me to tell 6 things about myself. unfortunately, i've been too busy enjoying everyone else's answers to sit down and answer it myself. so my first tidbit probably won't surprise you one bit.

1. i'm a procrastinator. i always have been and i've come to realize i probably always will be. i don't like this side of myself and i long to be one of those people who live without stress because they are always ahead of the game. i start report cards 2 days before they're due, i leave for work with just enough time to get there, i went through university cramming for every exam, and i never get birthday cards sent to people in time for their day. (shame) i may have finally learned my lesson last month though when i waited until the week before the ooak show to buy supplies for one style of necklace. the store i rely on was sold out of the crimps i needed. i went to every bead store in the city with no luck. in the end, i had to wait until 2 days into the show to feverishly make more necklaces when the crimps finally arrived.

2. i met my husband online. i've always been really shy about meeting guys and when i went into a profession that was mostly female, i realized it would be even harder to meet someone. my friend recommended a site that had lots of artists and musicians on it. that's how paul found me! funny sidenote: on our 1st date, i found out that paul was in a band that i had been crazy about for months! an ex had made me a mixed tape with 2 of paul's band's songs on it and i listened to them over and over. everytime i came to toronto i tried to find their cd with no success. needless to say, i ended up getting a copy from the drummer himself! :)

3. like mishka and jen, i'm an only child too. well, now that my mom has re-married i have a step-brother and step-sister. but until i was in my late-20's, i had none.

4. i'm in a sloan video. many years ago, sloan shot a video at york university and my bf-at-the-time and i went. it's for the song "the lines you amend" and i'm in the audience. somehow i managed to press the pause button on the vcr at the exact right time because even though it's a close up shot of me, that's the only way i can be spotted. (it flashes by really quickly...)

5. i am the least athletic person i know. i've never been co-ordinated enough to play any kind of organized sport. in fact, i never even learned how to skip double-dutch. isn't that totally pathetic??

6. i am terrified of speaking in front of people. i never thought this was odd, until i mentioned it to friends last week and they were shocked because i teach for a living. the thing is, i'm not nervous about speaking in front of kids, it's adults that terrify me. for instance, last week i went to a 2 hour focus group to discuss the bi-election we recently had in our riding. this was a dream-come-true for me...being offered $75 to go and talk politics (heck, i'd do it for free)! of course i jumped at the chance. but sitting around the table with 9 other people reminded me of how nervous i get in these situations. the first thing we had to do was tell our name and how long we've lived in toronto...simple, right? but as soon as i opened my mouth, i felt my face turn bright red and i could barely get the words out! i was so embarrassed. luckily, as the night went on i forced myself to speak and it got easier. but i swear my face was burning red for that first half hour.

...whew, i didn't know if i was going to be able to think of 6 things to tell you about myself! everyone else's answers have been so much more interesting....

so, i'm supposed to tag some people. how about deutsch, tania, and karina?

15 comments:

michelleknits said...

ooh, i'm with you on 1 (big time) and 5. and i'm always amazed when i hear about people meeting their mates online. just within the last year i've learned so much about being online and how finding people your'e compatible with makes perfect sense. i mean, i'm friends with you guys, and i met you all online, so why not? funny about 2, cause i almost said for one of mine: "i've never been in a chat room or instant messaged anyone." i like technology, but there's not a lot of it that i've used.

and speaking in front of kids is SO much different than speaking in front of other adults. i often prefer the former, too.

and your answers were plenty interesting! cool to read them.

Karin said...

#2 and 3 are me!

mishka said...

Thanks for sharing your "things", Krissy! I really enjoyed reading them and getting to know a bit more about you!

I am also a procrastinator. My taxes from 2004 are still not done. The Sloan video? I love stuff like that - catching little glimpses of yourself in a "celebrity" type setting.

I read your things just before I went to bed - and dreamed I was skipping double-dutch! Though in real life, I wasn't very good at it.

I just realised - Vania and Michelle both mentioned the sound of voices - and your's is the only voice I know!

jen said...

we have so much in common! another great list.

i am totally a procrastinator too, but i've learned to arrange things to suit my natural way of doing things so it actually works well for me most of the time.

i met travis (a drummer) online as well. what was the site you met on? i've always had a thing for musicians. we met on veggiedate.com

i also get terrified of speaking in front of people, and people are always surprised by that because i'm a lawyer.

Aimee "Roo" said...

holy cow! i'm an only too!!! :) that is so cool, i always get happy when i meet other only's... it's like a super secret club.

vania said...

Thanks for your answers - and i too learned we have things in commom; while i met my partner at a group interview, i am meeting so many lovely friends 'on-line' through the blog world,and i love this - i love how honest and comfortable i can be and not feel shy!

mishka said...

** the voice comment - of course I meant "of the bloggy veggie knitty people" :D

... not "I only hear your voice in my head!"

*wink*

tania said...

so neat to hear more stuff about you!!
:)
i never even knew paul was in a band- or maybe i did! which band is it? that is so cool that you loved the band before you met!!
i love that-

i am up for the tag challenge!

Karina said...

Hi Krissy
Thanks for the tag, I'll get on that...it could be interesting. YOu;re so funny with your public speaking. I get the same way. That 'introduce yourself' to a group of strangers is the worst. I'm with you on that :)

katie said...

well done for landing the drummer, always the best chioce in any band ...except maybe the Beatles?

michelleknits said...

oh my gosh re: Mishka's comment re: voices in the head! could she be any cuter/sillier?

i knew your list would generate good comments, so i came back. oh, and double thanks for your sweet ones in mine...

oh, and i too want to know 1) what online meeting place and 2) what band !

jen said...

are the nerve.com personals the same as the onion.com's personals - it used to be called "state street" personals or something like that? that used to be my favorite personals site until it was sold and now you have to register to browse it.

yay online personals! i'm a huge fan.

LittleMissMeshell said...

You sounds just like me! Especially the procrastination and the less than perfect athletic abilities! LOL :))

carrie said...

i hate public speaking because i fear being discredited. i had to give a speech a few years ago and a woman stood up and screamed, "excuse me!" i thought she was going to tell me that i was full of it. instead, she just said she couldn't hear me. ;)

Carla said...

Nice! I knew some of the 6 things already, but I didn't think you were shy about public speaking. Me too! I haven't done my 6 things meme yet. Are you going to see Julie Dorion tonight? She's at Wavelength at 11:15. Really late (!!!) for a tired old bird like me, but I'm going to be there, so look for me!