Sunday, August 06, 2006

an afternoon with warhol and a raw deal for dinner

paul recently wrote out a big list of things we want to do and places we want to go before the end of summer. on saturday we did a couple of things from the list.

we started out by going to see the andy warhol exhibit at the art gallery of ontario. it was curated by david cronenberg and he narrated the audio tour (on the handheld set) as well. while the show was a bit smaller than we expected, it was quite good. there were quite a few pieces i'd never seen before, including a few i'd never even heard of (like "tunafish disaster"). while i wish it had been a larger exhibit, i did like how the pieces were put together...which ones were chosen to be beside each other. and the audio tour was excellent! i highly recommend picking up the (free) listening set if you go.

after the gallery, we just walked along queen street a bit and popped into caban, which is going out of business. unfortunately, 20% off of a $200 duvet cover = still too rich for my blood.

then we headed up to our old neighbourhood...the annex...around dupont and spadina to check out a restaurant we've been meaning to try for years! it's a raw food restaurant called "live". being such sad sacks, we didn't even go when we lived a 10 minute walk away.

as we stepped inside we were very excited! the inside decor is really lovely...exposed brick and linoleum floor tiles that look exactly like grass and leaves!
at live

paul chose the artichoke dish and i had the raw combo plate.
 3 artichokes

livecombo

our only complaint: we were shocked by how tiny the portions were! paul's entree had 3 artichoke hearts, a sliced tomato and a palm-sized amount of salad. honestly, this should have been an appetizer. 3 artichoke hearts! $11!!

my dish was only slightly larger. however it contained mainly salad with just a bit of a few other dishes, including one stuffed mushroom cap. one! $14!

now i should say, the food was delicious and the woman who served us could not have been nicer. we enjoyed everything about the restaurant except for the fact that we paid a ridiculous amount of money for appetizers disguised as entrees.

needless to say, i was STARVING after dinner. we headed straight to bloor street where we sat down in the park so i could enjoy my real dinner: french fries from chippy's.
chippys

consider yourself warned, my fellow toronto friends!

8 comments:

mishka said...

HEY! WE were at the Warhol show on Saturday too! We were there at about 2:00 or so, with my cousin and his partner.

We tried to go to Veg Haven afterwards, but it wasn't open.

I agree - Live is wonderfully tasty and interesting, but the portions are tiny. My friend and I shared the raw sampler when we went, and somehow she was full halfway through. Maybe it was the sangria that filled her up :D

Deustch said...

Those fries look a whole lot better than the live food does.

Megan said...

You got duped! The "entrees" do look yummy though.

I love to hear about your adventures around Toronto. What a great city! The Warhol exhibit sounds fantastic. You would LOVE the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh - we always try to stop in when we're there visiting family.

http://www.warhol.org/

Julia said...

Hi! - I'm not a vegetarian/vegan and don't follow any dietary beliefs or trends - although I should probably eat more fruits...so says doc.

I have been hearing about the "raw food" craze for over two years now and was curious to try it out one day soon and was thinking that "Live" would be the place to go. Now, I'm not so sure...

That said, I just wanted to express my shock with your "raw" food experience...it certainly was a raw deal...I guess that is how restaurants stay in business.

There's an old expression my mom uses when she feels something I or someone ate at a restaurant was outrageously expensive - "You ate the food and it ate you right back."

I know it sounds odd but it's a translation from Italian to English... :)

p.s. the fries from Chippy's look divine!

tania said...

agh! there's nothing worse than expensive small portions!
good thing there are always fries-
:)

Carla said...

I agree on all 3! The Warhol exhibit is interesting but too short. Live is pretty and the food is good but pricey and skimpy. And French fries are the best and easiest remedy about a regretfully unsatisfying meal!

Carla said...

And I'll warn you back: Boom Shiva is expensive and has small portions.

Harmonia said...

Great pic!

I Just wanted to let you know that I have moved my blog to:
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com and will be doing my blogging from there now. I will keep my old blog active for my blogroll, Daily OM, and as a backup. Swing by my new place when you have a minute to say hi! Have a great day!