Monday, February 01, 2010

Andy Barrie


Today on my drive into work I was listening to Metro Morning just like always, when host Andy Barrie announced he will be retiring from the show on March 1st. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The announcement came without warning, just seconds after blowing out the candles on his birthday cake live on air.

I love Metro Morning and I can't even imagine the show without Andy. It's how I've been starting my weekdays ever since I moved to Toronto in 2002. Andy is a big reason why I love the show. He's such a fantastic interviewer, a really feisty guy, and so down-to-earth. He really connects with his audience. He's never been afraid to let the audience in on his personal life either. He's talked openly about dealing with Parkinson's and the death of his wife, Mary last year. He often talks about his daughter, his mom, and even his dog on air. It's like he's part of the family!

Four or five years ago, I heard on Metro Morning that Andy would be at Doors Open at the CBC building. It happened to fall on my birthday weekend. I remember Paul asking me what I wanted to do for my birthday and I said "I want to see Andy Barrie!"

When I met him I was so excited and nervous! He was so sweet and funny....he said something along the lines of, "Why so excited, I'm not Britney Spears!". When I nervously asked if I could get a picture with him, he gave me the biggest hug. And that's the picture you see up there. I'm so happy I have that.

I hope he has a wonderful retirement and enjoys sleeping in well past 4:00am for the first time in fifteen years. He certainly deserves it!

Toronto loves you, Andy!

3 comments:

tania said...

oh this is the cutest pic ever!!
i will miss andy too- he is just great- even though i sleep in past show time-
;)

Carla said...

It's sad for sure! Though I'm so happy that he'll get to sleep like a normal person. The show starts at 5:30am now, yowza!

Who do you think will replace him? Matt Galloway, Jane Hawtin, Karen Horsman, Kevin Sylvester .... ? Rich Terfry would be awesome!

krissy said...

I guess my vote would be for Matt Galloway or Kevin Sylvester. I love Kevin...he's funny! And Matt is a great interviewer. I like Jane Hawtin a whole lot too. I'm actually wondering if they'll bring in a completely new person?! I'm kind of nervous about who they'll pick, to be honest.