Thursday, May 04, 2006

red buttons

this afternoon i stopped in at a neighbourhood vintage shop to pick up some old buttons to finish off a knitting project that has been gathering dust for months.
redbuttons
with any luck, a picture of the final product will be posted in the next couple of days... (ps. is it possible to block acrylic???)

***

and just as i was writing this post, we heard a clanging bell out on the street. it rang and rang...and then a robotic sounding recorded voice came on over a loudspeaker and said "ask us about our lawnmower sharpening". paul and i ran to the window to see this driving slowly up our street.
toolsharpening
i love it! maybe it's just me, but it seems so old-skool!

ahhh... one more reason i love our neighbourhood!

8 comments:

mishka said...

That's so cool - I've never seen a tool sharpening truck in the city! Neat-o.

You don't block acrylic, from what I've read. The fibres are pretty much staying put, unlike natural fibres that shrink and stretch. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Karin said...

Wow! I wish we had those! Do they sharpen kitchen knives?

michelleknits said...

yeah, i'm with mishka here. i don't think you block acrylic. i'd love to see what you made!

Vegan Knitting said...

That is sooo cool!!!

I have blocked acrylic. I don't know how much it helped but it did soften to wash it and I did even out some stitches.

Vegan Knitting said...

p.s. Those buttons are wonderful!

vania said...

i love that you have a whole truck to sharpen knives. I have a dude who walks in my neighbourhood with a cart that he pushes and yells with his bell. But, i know the weather is good when i hear him, cuz he doesn't do this in the winter!

Great buttons, can't wait to see what you do with them!

Harmonia said...

I just linked you! Thanks for the note. These buttons are WAY COOL! I have been trying to use buttons on my scrapbooking pages! Thanks for the reminder.

jen said...

i've blocked acrylic, and it had some beneficial effect (i.e. it was worth doing.)

i like the sign on the truck. trav would probably love it if a truck like that came by - he'd run out there with all kinds of tools to be sharpened.